Macro data from China and the US confirms a modestly positive global growth scenario, supporting risk assets. Today’s video looks at startling developments in oil markets, and a global oil and gas stock breaking out.
I know, I know. If you’re watching the market, you’re already watching BHP. However, yesterday’s production report means BHP bears a closer look over the next few trading days. BHP surprised on iron ore. Both Rio and Fortescue reported production drops for Q1 2014 vs Q4 2013, mainly due to poor weather conditions. However, BHP […]
Asia Pacific indices Australia 200 has climbed back into the upper half of a 5,300 to 5,500 trading channel with RSI holding 50 confirming that upward momentum remains intact. Japan 225 has broken through 14,140 and carried on toward 14,410, signalling the start of a new upswing that would be confirmed if RSI can climb […]
Asia Pacific markets face conflicting currents in trading today, as Ukrainian concerns in Europe were overwhelmed by good numbers in the US. Everything could change mid-session with the release of IP, sales and GDP numbers in China. Today’s video update looks at potential implications for oil and the Australian dollar.
Traders are divided on trading Newcrest shares – they either love it or hate it. It’s notoriously unpredictable, and often seems to go against the moves in the underlying metal. The gold mining subsector was the only one to finish in negative territory yesterday. One theory explaining this behaviour is that share market participants use […]
A ramping up of tension in the Ukraine has European investors nervous – and is hitting commodity markets. In contrast, overnight US reporting and retail sales data is supporting a better outlook for risk. Today’s video looks at short term implications for Gold and AUD/USD
The current sell off in previously popular stocks is indiscriminate – a high P/E ratio is enough to put a share price in sellers’ sights. Any investors concerned that their portfolio is too concentrated in high dividend yielding stocks could be looking at the current weakness to buy growth exposures – and Carsales.com should be […]
The sell-off in high multiple stocks looks like last week’s news as investors look forward to more US company reporting, key data from China this week and the potential for sentiment to turn positive on the first trading day of Easter week.
From Ric Spooner: A couple of big green candles and some gapping action have put JB Hi Fi on my traders’ watch list. On Friday JBH opened lower and moved down to fill the gap it created with Thursday’s opening. It then staged an impressive intraday rally to finish up a cent on a day […]
Asia Pacific indices Australia 200 failed to break through channel resistance near 5,500, completing a triple top in the process and has fallen back toward 5,400 with channel support still in place near 5,285. RSI dropping back toward 50 suggests upward momentum fading. Japan 225 remains under pressure, dropping below 14,000 and falling to retest […]
Browse by category
Free trading insights
2667 get regular updates from CMC Markets
- An improving globe, good US reporting and an oil surprise. 17/04/2014
- BHP – a slow burn 17/04/2014
- Chart Signals – Thursday, April 17 17/04/2014
- Conflicting currents and numbers from China – video update 16/04/2014
- Newcrest – tail wags dog 16/04/2014
- Five Minutes Trading – Starts Tomorrow 30/09/2013
- Mystery Chart 2013 20/03/2013
- Five Minutes a Day Trading – Strategy Paper 31/01/2014
- Five Minute Trading – at the Finish Line 31/10/2013
- Mystery Chart 27/08/2013
- Timing TPG Telecom - CMC Markets Blog: […] leading to a 25% earnings uplift is good...
- Michael McCarthy: Yes Mike - Colin's analysis is back today...
- Mike: Hello there, I don't seem to be able to find the...
- AUD/JPY - a second bite at the cherry - CMC Markets Blog: […] Fridays ago the case for long AUD/JPY tr...
- DV34: Agree re Indices looking to short this week...
Follow CMC Markets on Twitter
- RT @Colgo: Here's @MMcCarthy_CMC on the market volatility of the past week. http://t.co/Xdcy9z4dkF (Trader can write. Who knew?!) 5 days ago retweeted via Colgo
- RT @MMcCarthy_CMC: BHP – a slow burn http://t.co/CAGYQcPMt8 5 days ago retweeted via MMcCarthy_CMC
- RT @BusInsiderAU: Markets May Just Have To Get Used To Weird Weeks Like This - http://t.co/QkicBtpmvb by @MMcCarthy_CMC 5 days ago retweeted via BusInsiderAU