For those of you not yet tired of hearing me talk about the importance of looking at higher timeframes here comes another example – the 200 week moving average. When you look at the chart of the AUD/NZD on a weekly basis you will notice that the 200 week MA has been a particularly good […]
Aside from the straight-edge trendline it doesn’t get much more old-fashioned in the technical analysis world than the triangle. When you see a good one though it remains a cause for celebration – or whatever it is that you do when you find a trade setup. Not only are you looking for the basic shape […]
[polldaddy poll=6721387] In the financial community I have found that one of the most effective ways to start a fight is to discuss the outlook for gold. Possibly because there are so many sub-arguments that it can lead into. Fed good. Fed bad. QE Yes. QE No. Fiat money. Inflation risks. Deflation risks. The list […]
Trading based on mean reversion is a strategy that is often done at the wrong times and requires a goodly degree of courage even at the right times. Why the courage? Because you are selecting a turning point in the market and assuming that price is about to do an about-face. The other question that […]
As you have seen over the course of this week, one of the keys to working on this strategy is to find well correlated pairs. You have seen that things like the Australian banks and RIO and BHP are good candidates because of the homogenous nature of their business. Given the nature of the GICS […]
[polldaddy poll=6691761] Rather than rattling on with the same old set of indicators for you I thought that today I would introduce you to a couple that you may well have heard of but have not used previously – the CCI and the ROC. The CCI (Commodity Channel Index) can be defined as follows – […]
One of the most interesting ways of determining where you stand in a trend (and even whether you are in a trend) is to look at the long-term moving average and the volatility that is occurring around it. Most well-known on this topic is the indicator called the Bollinger Bands. What I am doing in […]
I don’t know about you but I think there is comfort to be found in charts that have a good history of respecting the technical indicator that you are about to apply. This may be ‘feel-goodery’ on my part but it certainly seems to help. With that in mind, take a look at the daily […]
In a number of my recent posts I have been making some pretty bullish noises about the state of the euro. Most recently this opinion has been based on the bounce off the 200 day moving average and the break from a descending triangle. You will want to keep on top of this triangle because […]
Some weeks ago I wrote about the trading channel that CSR is in and thought that events of the last few sessions warrant updating you all on where the price is going. The other positive of recent trading is that it aligns several points that will help with your placement of stop-loss orders. The broad […]
Browse by category
Free trading insights
4738 get regular updates from CMC Markets
- Fantastic Four 07/07/2015
- Market calendar – the week ahead 07/07/2015
- Chart Signals – Tuesday 7 July 07/07/2015
- Greece and the markets 06/07/2015
- Chart Signals – Monday 6 July 06/07/2015
- Five Minutes Trading – Starts Tomorrow 30/09/2013
- Mystery Chart 2013 20/03/2013
- Five Minutes a Day Trading – Strategy Paper 31/01/2014
- Five Minute Trading – at the Finish Line 31/10/2013
- Man Overboard – Rescue Party 22/07/2014
- Ric Spooner: Sorry Vlad, I see what you are saying. No intentio...
- Vlad: It looks like the word "Greece" was only in the ...
- DV34: I agree re the Euro, I am longer term bullish as w...
- Ric Spooner: Thanks for contributing your insights Carol Regar...
- NZDUSD: Hi There. have been looking at the NZDUSD chart f...
Follow CMC Markets on Twitter
- RT @ricspooner_CMC: #GBPAUD - A close below RSI support looks interesting for divergence traders here http://t.co/bFmi0zXGgh 11 hours ago retweeted via ricspooner_CMC
- Congratulations @NSWWaratahs Michael Hooper & Adam Ashley Cooper @AdamCoopy becoming @Wallabies vice-captains #Waratahs #Warabies #Tahbies 12 hours ago
- RT @ricspooner_CMC: Video discussion on major events for the rest of the week's market calendar http://t.co/honqMefIP1 17 hours ago retweeted via ricspooner_CMC