For those of you not yet tired of hearing me talk about the importance of looking at higher timeframes here comes another example – the 200 week moving average. When you look at the chart of the AUD/NZD on a weekly basis you will notice that the 200 week MA has been a particularly good […]
Aside from the straight-edge trendline it doesn’t get much more old-fashioned in the technical analysis world than the triangle. When you see a good one though it remains a cause for celebration – or whatever it is that you do when you find a trade setup. Not only are you looking for the basic shape […]
In the financial community I have found that one of the most effective ways to start a fight is to discuss the outlook for gold. Possibly because there are so many sub-arguments that it can lead into. Fed good. Fed bad. QE Yes. QE No. Fiat money. Inflation risks. Deflation risks. The list goes on. […]
Trading based on mean reversion is a strategy that is often done at the wrong times and requires a goodly degree of courage even at the right times. Why the courage? Because you are selecting a turning point in the market and assuming that price is about to do an about-face. The other question that […]
As you have seen over the course of this week, one of the keys to working on this strategy is to find well correlated pairs. You have seen that things like the Australian banks and RIO and BHP are good candidates because of the homogenous nature of their business. Given the nature of the GICS […]
Rather than rattling on with the same old set of indicators for you I thought that today I would introduce you to a couple that you may well have heard of but have not used previously – the CCI and the ROC. The CCI (Commodity Channel Index) can be defined as follows – “is a […]
One of the most interesting ways of determining where you stand in a trend (and even whether you are in a trend) is to look at the long-term moving average and the volatility that is occurring around it. Most well-known on this topic is the indicator called the Bollinger Bands. What I am doing in […]
I don’t know about you but I think there is comfort to be found in charts that have a good history of respecting the technical indicator that you are about to apply. This may be ‘feel-goodery’ on my part but it certainly seems to help. With that in mind, take a look at the daily […]
In a number of my recent posts I have been making some pretty bullish noises about the state of the euro. Most recently this opinion has been based on the bounce off the 200 day moving average and the break from a descending triangle. You will want to keep on top of this triangle because […]
Some weeks ago I wrote about the trading channel that CSR is in and thought that events of the last few sessions warrant updating you all on where the price is going. The other positive of recent trading is that it aligns several points that will help with your placement of stop-loss orders. The broad […]
Browse by category
Free trading insights
2490 get regular updates from CMC Markets
- Morning Video Update – Global Indices Warn 12/12/2013
- Morning Chart Signals – Thursday Dec 12 12/12/2013
- Sell Everything 11/12/2013
- GBP/JPY – Sell if divergence confirmed 11/12/2013
- Market Update Video – Commodity currencies and gold 11/12/2013
- Five Minutes Trading – Starts Tomorrow 30/09/2013
- Mystery Chart 2013 20/03/2013
- Five Minute Trading – at the Finish Line 31/10/2013
- Mystery Chart 27/08/2013
- Five Minutes a Day Trading – June 2013 – White Paper 03/06/2013
- Michael McCarthy: Hi Michael - in the past, gold and silver have oft...
- Michael McCarthy: Exactly right Steve...
- Michael: Morning Michael, a big thank you for such a compre...
- Steve: Michael - I assume your order didn't get filled a...
- Michael McCarthy: Thanks for the feedback RJH...
Follow CMC Markets on Twitter
- RT @MMcCarthy_CMC: Morning Video Update - Global Indices Warn http://t.co/eZryEF0cQO 19 hours ago retweeted via MMcCarthy_CMC
- RT @enoehtoen: Great call earlier today before US open --> RT@MMcCarthy_CMC Sell Everything http://t.co/Qe6sPQfaXs 20 hours ago retweeted via enoehtoen
- Morning Chart Signals - Thursday Dec 12 http://t.co/PTA6tJw5nl 20 hours ago